
The VanVechten Cemetery began as a family cemetery in 1778 on the VanVechten family farm. Twenty-six members are buried on the original lot. In 1883, John and Isabella VanVechten established the VanVechten Cemetery Association on the three acres surrounding the original lot and the cemetery became public. Since that time, over 500 burials have taken place, many individuals being of Scottish descent. In the late 1800's, when the original church cemetery fell into disrepair, 65 individuals from the Scotch Church cemetery were transferred to the VanVechten Cemetery.
The Van Vechten Cemetery Association is governed by a Board of Trustees, many of whom are descendants of the original Van Vechten Family:
Kenneth Aucompaugh, Sr. - President
Greg Welsh - Vice President
Susan Munson - Secretary
Ava Douglass - Treasurer
Emily Aucompaugh
Kenneth Aucompaugh, Jr.
Melissa Aucompaugh
Patricia Isabella
Mark McKinlay
Jamie Nelson
David VanPatten
Kevin Aucompaugh - Superintendent